Wednesday, January 05, 2005

Even more rants

I keep thinking about Farley, a guy that I knew in high school and college. He's the kind of guy who absolutely refused to do things honestly. He absolutely had to cheat, even when it wasn't necessary. He cheated on even the easiest of tests, and he routinely stole stuff from people. Heck, when dividing up into soccer teams, he would insist on sneaking off to join whichever team he wanted, even for a mere friendly game.

I can't help but wonder if he's going to wind up in jail sometime. I sure wouldn't hire him to do anything. I would never trust him.

For a while, I was hung up on a high school classmate named Lani Rose. She was a liar, too. And I once dated a woman named Audrey M., who repeatedly lied to me. And why? Just because she didn't feel that things would work out, but was too cowardly to admit this to me. So she kept dodging phone calls instead. When I contacted her at work, she claimed to be in the middle of teaching a class, but that rang hollow. (Why would she answer the phone in the middle of a class?) She even asked me to call back during lunch time, but when I tried that, she never answered.

Because she did ask me to call, I tried calling her at home as well. I was persistent because she had previously agreed to attend a wedding with me. Besides, I figured that if she didn't want me to call, she wouldn't have asked me to contact her over lunch time. As it turned out, that was just an easy cop-out for her.

I never expected a grown 30-year-old woman to act that way. That was the type of behavior that I would have expected from a high school student, not an adult professional. Obviously, Audrey did not have that type of maturity.

At times like this, I like to think about some of the more pleasant people in my life... people like Dawn, who's very much like a sister to me. I couldn't ask for a better sister.

Oh, and as long as I'm ranting, here's a link to a new directory that I found. It could stand to be fleshed out a bit more. Also, here's a list of technical books that are worth reading. I should probably include some pure science books as well, and a few more engineering resources.